[mythtv-users] DVD rip idea

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Mon Jan 31 21:43:45 EST 2005

On Jan 30, 2005, at 10:05 PM, Michael J. Emswiler wrote:
> I built a shell script to do it all (out of several pre-existing ones
> --
> thanks for the great start Scott!) and then changed the Import DVD
> menu to
> Import DVD Track and added a menu Import Entire DVD, I also added Video
> Manager from Setup into this menu to have quick access to define IMDB
> info
> for the DVDs I rip without all that extra navigation.
>
> Here's what it does/I did:

<snip very cool directions>

Michael -

I've been exploring this as well not only becuase I want all the menu /
navigation / extra features but because I want the Region 1 Closed
Caption data saved too. I've played around with vobcopy and dvdbackup
also. I discovered that if you use lsdvd to read the disc it stays
decoded until the drive is ejected. This means instead of using
dvdbackup + mkisofs you can do the following:

1) lsdvd /dev/dvd > /dev/null 2>&1
2) dd if=/dev/dvd of=/var/spool/videos/mydvd.iso

This should avoid the need for mkisofs and save some time importing
DVDs to the hard drive.

--
Scott