[mythtv-users] New MythTV System help

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:08:21 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:43:29 -0600, Computer Operator <rchaney at kc.rr.com> wrote:
<snip>
> will my system support the (software encode/decode)of 2ea
> HD-3000s and a PVR-250/350.
>
> The equipment I bought is as follows:
>
> Intel D915PBL 800 FSB motherboard
> P4 550 3.4g CPU

more than enough power for NTSC.  i'm sure it's enough for at least
one ATSC stream, but i don't know enough to tell you if it can handle
two simultaneous ATSC streams.

> 1024m DDR2/533 memory

plenty'o memory :)

> eVGA eGeFORCE 6600 Video (PCIe x16)
> 300g SATA HD - to start (room for 3 more drives)

you may want to google to find out how well linux supports SATA at the
moment.  i don't think it's completely built in yet and may not be
that reliable.  please search before taking my word though.

> Audio is on-board Intel "High Def." (7.1 I think)
> Plextor PX-716A double layer cd/dvd
> Mandrake 10.1

if you're new to linux you may want to consider KnoppMyth instead of
Mandrake (assuming you're setting this box up soley for a PVR).
Mandrake is a great distro and generally easy for noobs to learn on if
you plan on using it as a desktop.  if you have no interest in linux
other than using it for a PVR then KnoppMyth comes with everything you
need for Myth pre-configured.  just stick in the cd, run the auto
setup and walk through the configuration.