[mythtv-users] irw and no picture/sound problems

sound32 at comcast.net sound32 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 11:11:24 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am a newbie to both MythTV and Linux overall.  I have just recently finished going through a walkthrough at this site:

http://home.comcast.net/~homebrewracing/Mythtv.txt

I am running Slackware 10 (2.4.26 Kernel) with a PVR-350
One computer is my frontend and backend
P3 1.2Ghz, 256 ram, Hauppage grey remote, lirc 0.7.0 9 (just dl - so newest full release), ivtv-0.2.0-rc3e from Chris Kennedy's site (thanks)

I have two problems after finishing the walk through.  The first (and most important) is that when I go to Watch TV on my frontend, there is only static.  I can change channels and see the show description, but there is only fuzz with no sound.  I tried to run these commands from the walkthrough several times, to make sure my tuner was set correct, but no avail.

For NTSC
$ /usr/bin/test_ioctl -u 0x3000
$ /usr/bin/test_ioctl -p 4
$ /usr/bin/test_ioctl -f width=720,height=480

The only difference is that I had to use ivtvctl instead of test_ioctl.  When I tried to use test_ioctl linux told me to it had been replaced by ivtvctl and to use that instead.

The other problem is my remote.  I tried to test the button reception by using IRW, but when I tried to do this, I got the following:

$connect: connection refused

I checked the /var/log/lircd, but didn't see any problems.  I'm not sure what else to check for this problem.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions to help get past this point.  I am extremely anxious to see MythTV in action!  Yes, I have tried several times to google, check this list, ivtv list, and lirc list for a solution, but can't find anything that has worked for me.  Please let me know if you need more verbose log readouts or any other information to help troubleshoot.  I'm not in front of my slack box, but can put together a more informative email tonight if need be.

Thanks again,
Shaun (Richmond, VA user - anyone close?)