[mythtv-users] Hard Drive Question

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 01:13:10 EST 2005

Hey all,

  I've had a myth box for a couple weeks running KnoppMyth v4r5 and
have enjoyed it alot. Unfortunatly, the drive I used is getting more
and more bad blocks, and now they're starting to cause kernel panics
when mythbackend trys to commercial detect and watch live tv, etc. It
was a "bad" drive to begin with, but it's what I had to build myself a
proof of concept box. Of course, I fell in love w/ myth and moved all
my recordings from my ReplayTV to it. DOH! Anyway...

Question is: Can I buy a 2.5" Laptop IDE drive and use it in my
(normal desktop) system? I've never used small HD's in non-laptop
systems before, anyone have any advice, pages to read, etc? My main
motive is sound, and I'm also packed into a small case, so I figure a
small HD would be better cooled and much quieter. Is it worth the
extra $$ for the small drive?

Any experience / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Kenneth