[mythtv-users] Air2pc / Air2LAN

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 23:58:52 EST 2005

Quoting Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com>:
> the archives some people are starting to experiment.  Checking
> out their web site tho, I find the Air2LAN device perhaps even
> more interesting.

The Air2PC is fully supported by current CVS.  I also just yesterday made it
work with Unencrypted Digital Cable in the US.  I have sent a driver patch off
to linux-dvb.  The Air2PC driver looks like it will be included in the 2.6.11
kernel as well..

> According to the spec sheet, there is a Linux library
> available.  Depending on specifics and costs, etc;
> I see more potential in this approach.

The Air2Lan is very expensive last I looked, and that makes it less of an option
I think than the Air2PC.  I also would have to spend some serious time figuring
out how to interface it with Myth to have the same type of support as current
DVB (linuxtv drivers really) devices.

>  Most of the devices are stuffed out of the
> way (basement, office), a small frontend, and the network.

I just put my whole backend in my garage where all my cables come into the
house.

> few parts required.  Depending on the device costs, this
> could be significantly easier and cheaper than PCI based
> cards.

Take a look.. I thought it was a great idea at first as well..

Taylor