[mythtv-users] LIRC diagnostic advice

Magnus Sandin magnus at sandin.cx
Sat Jan 29 16:46:47 EST 2005

John,

I'm new to this mailing list so I just saw this reply.
If you have trouble when you autostart mythfrontend or other
applications from rc.local for instance, it may be due to the home
directory is differend (atleast on Fedora Core) then if you login with
the root account.

When you normally login, the home directory is /root. However when you
run applications from startup script the home directory will be /
I just created a software link from /root/.mythtv to /.mythtv to get my
remote to work.

Just a tip when trouble shooting applications when they are started from
init scrips, it may be a good idea to send all output to a file that you
can check for error messages later.

Example of /etc/rc.local
problematic_program > /tmp/program.log 2>&1

Hope this helps!

Regards
// Magnus

Andy Long wrote:

>John,
>
>I'm not sure what you've tried as far as trouble shooting.  Can you run
>/usr/bin/irw
>
>or does it crash whenever you start it?  This should at least help to
>see if it's an lirc issue, or if there's a configuration issue.
>
>Also, which remote control are you using?  Is it the one that came
>with your capture card?  Can you post the type, color of the remote?
>
>If you wish to go the lirc mailing route, you can find a link to it on
>the left side of the LIRC site:  http://www.lirc.org/
>
>-Andy
>
>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:21:27 -0600, John Williams
><williamsbyron at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I know this is a littl off tipoc, but I don't know where to turn.
>>
>>My problem is this. I have followed Jarod's guide to setting up Myth
>>on FC3. Every thing seems to work except my remote control is not
>>active at startup. I followed his startup scripts he had added and
>>everything. I don't know where to look for error messages. Could
>>someone kindly give me pushi n the right direction for troubleshooting
>>this. Even a link to a LIRC mailing list would be fine. I just don't
>>know where to look.
>>
>>Using PVR250
>>
>>Thanks,
>>John Williams

*Magnus Sandin
*Cache miss - please take better aim next time

Get Firefox... <http://www.getfirefox.com>