[mythtv-users] OS X

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Sat Jan 29 15:06:06 EST 2005

On Jan 29, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Robert Karaffa wrote:

> in the setup screens for MythVideo, I can get MPlayer to start using:
> "open /Applications/MPlayer.app (and the rest of the commands like -fs
> --no-splash -zoom %s")

I'm pretty sure you don't want to use the "open" command for this. This
basically just sends a command to the Finder to launch the app, which
isn't what you want.

Try calling the app directly, by using
"/Applications/MPlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/MPlayer ..." instead.
(Double-check that that's the right path in the Terminal.)  I don't
actually use mythvideo, though, so I'm probably not the best person to
answer this question.  ;)

> 2)  i don't have a TV tuner card of any kind right now.  not
> interested in it at the moment.  how does that impact the fact that my
> backend is 0.16 and my MacMyth frontend is not?

The 0.16 backend and CVS frontend will refuse to talk to each other,
but since you're not using the TV functionality, that should not
matter. In fact, you don't need a backend running at all if you're only
using the video and music functions. You need the database up and
running, but the backend is superfluous.

The CVS frontend will upgrade the database schema, which could cause
the 0.16 backend to fail or corrupt your data if you try to actually
use it, so it's probably best to shut down the backend entirely. If you
don't use the TV functions, you won't miss it.

- Jeremiah