[mythtv-users] Re: Has anyone figured out how to foreground mplayer?

Mike Green mikey at linuxwiz.org
Fri Jan 28 19:34:16 EST 2005

> Is the only problem that your remote isn't working? I'll bet you're
> using irxevent to control things, aren't you?

No, I am not using anything related to lirc whatsover.  It is a remote
keyboard type deal.  It has a base radio receiver that plugs into the
keyboard/mouse ports.  Only in my case, the keyboard is a universal
learning remote that I have keyed everything into.  My actual mythtv has
worked flawlessly for over a year, there are no problems with the remote
setup...  The remote also works just fine when I run mplayer outside of
mythtv.

I have implemented a temporary workaround that is a real kludge, something
along the lines of:

#!/bin/sh
chvt 8 &
X :1 vt 8 &
export display=:1
mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo x11 -ao alsa "$*"
kill -9 `cat /tmp/.X1.lock`
chvt 7 &

I then call this script from mythtv.  It is ugly as hell but it works for
now.  After a while the graphics in mythfrontend get corrupted and the
screen does not redraw itself correctly, so it is not a permanent
solution...

> Also, not that it's related, but why are you using "-vo x11" in your
> command line? Unless you're using a PVR-350 for output, or some other
> video card that doesn't support Xv, you probably want "-vo xv".
> Running "mplayer -vo help" will list all available output methods.
> Some other good ones might be xvmc (for hardware-accelerated MPEG-2
> decoding, if your card has it), gl, gl2, dga, or sdl.

I am using the tv-out port on an nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 to watch tv.  I
can't recall exactly why I am not using xv, but I think it had to do with
no xv support on the tv-out port on the card, or something like that :)

--
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
  -- Jack Handy