[mythtv-users] MythTV & EPIA MotherBoards Suggestion

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:27:11 EST 2005

> Hi All,
>
>         Appreciate some help on choosing a EPIA MB that has the best
> probability of success with running MythTv.
>
> The choices I have are
>
> M1000
> MS1200

These two have hardware mpeg accel supported in mythtv....

> V800

And this one doesn't. Go for an M series,

> I'm hoping to set it up as follows:
> LIRC
> Gentoo Linux
> TV-Out
> IDE Hard Drive.

Yes. No problems there. However you forgot one of the most important
parts: A TV card. This is going to be a harder decision. Do you have
DVB where you are? If so, then get a DVB card. Otherwise get an full
featured analog card with an Mpeg encoder, because the EPIA can't do
it in software in real time.

> The thing which worries me now is how to get LIRC as well as TV-out to
> work. I've noted that the EPIA comes with

TV out is easy - EPIA comes with composite and S-Video TV outs

> 1x CIR Connector
> 1x FIR Connector

Ignore these. You really have two main options for IR: Go for a TV
card with a remote, which you can use in lirc, or buy a serial port ir
receiver. These are cheap and let you use just about any remote.

> Is there a difference between these 2 different connectors? I believe
> that CIR is preferred right? (consumer Infra Red?) I've not been able to
> get my Laptop's (Dell D600) to work with it's internal IrDa and LIRC.
>
> I'm hoping that I will get more luck with this. Would Appreciate a
> response.

No worries. Hope this helps.

Andrew