[mythtv-users] CableCard for the PC and MythTv

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 15:14:45 EST 2005

Quoting Peter Judge <peter at judge.co.za>:
> Does anyone know if there are plans to support CableCard within Myth?  I
> guess this is a 2 part question. The first part being, are there any efforts
> out there to make a CableCard reader for the PC, and secondly, will Myth
> support CableCard?

First there needs to be a PCI card that supports CableCard.

> The CableCard, as I understand it, simply decrypts the signal from the cable
> company, but doesn't provide EPG. Myth does that quite nicely.  I know that
> the CableCard spec isn't finalised yet, but I'm still interested in any
> information anyone mught have on this.

The cable card is almost identical to the DVB CI interface.  It has a slightly
modified protocol to talk to it, but it is electrically compatiable.  It CANNOT
be used in a PCMCIA slot.  It is NOT a PCMCIA card it just happens to have the
same form factor.