[mythtv-users] Archiving TV shows to DVD

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 27 13:28:50 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:39:58PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:13:39AM -0600, M S wrote:
> > Also, does anything address AC3 sound?
>
> What about it? Your PVR-350 recordings don't have it and your DVDs don't
> need it.

Actually, DVDs do need AC3 audio.  It's part of the DVD-Video spec.  A disc
that only has MPEG audio isn't guaranteed to play on all DVD players.

There is an encoder (BeSweet) that runs under Windows to produce stereo and
multichannel AC3, but I don't know if there is an AC3 encoder that works
with Linux.  (Maybe BeSweet runs under WINE...last time I tried it, though,
not much ran under WINE at all.)

  _/_