[mythtv-users] USB-UIRT and LIRC question - slightly off-topic

mstrimel at comcast.net mstrimel at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 11:55:45 EST 2005

It seems many of you are happy with your USB-UIRT devices under LIRC (http://www.usbuirt.com/) and there seem to be linux drivers available.  I just set up mythtv ... *wow* ... and now really want to get lirc to work.

Did you have to compile a lirc module for the USB-UIRT?  I am using Ubuntu Linux with a kernel version 2.6.8.  I have had no success compiling the lirc i2c module for my Hauppauge WinTV and radio card (basically, .deb package for kernel source tree for 2.6.8 not available, tried to use "headers" package, which supposed to work but lirc still unhappy) ... I know it's supposed to be possible to compile the module w/o the source tree, I'm just (obviously) not smart enough to do it!

So, can I use the USB-UIRT and lirc without without compiling a module?  Or is there any other device that would do this? I would happily pay $ to purchase such an animal, and not think about kpkg again :)   I am just a humble end user.
thanks,
Mary
mstrimel AT comcast DOT net