[mythtv-users] how to set-up second display for mythfrontend

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Jan 27 01:12:55 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:48:53PM -0800, Julian Cerruti wrote:
>     I'm still stuck with my problem trying to use the
> second screen or a dual-head configuration for
> mythfrontend.
>     In an X server configured with two screens (:0.0
> and :0.1), does anyone know how to tell KDE to use
> ONLY the first screen instead of both (that is, start
> only one kwin, kdesktop and kicker instead of one per
> screen).

Dunno about that, but it won't hurt you to have a window manager
on the 2nd screen will it?  I mean you don't need one, but.

One gotcha, if you are using nvidia video cards and probably some
others is they will only do an xvideo window on the screen they think
is screen 0.  (I would think they should let you do it on either but
not both if they only have one set of logic to do xvideo, but what can
you do.)

So you will want the mythfrontend to run on screen 0 as far as the
card is concerned.

With some trickery, this does not have to be screen 0 to the window
manager, however.

And we're talking possible hard crash if you get it wrong.

>     Finally, I guess my last option would be to use
> two simultaneous X servers. Unfortunatelly, looks like
> that is not supported by default in X.org. I've seen

Actually, I am not sure it's "supported" in the sense it's not in
the config file.  You make two config files, one for each card.  I
don't know if you can really have two X servers on two heads of the
same video card, that sounds scary to try.