[mythtv-users] how to set-up second display for mythfrontend

Julian Cerruti jcerruti.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 00:48:53 EST 2005

Hello all,

    I'm still stuck with my problem trying to use the
second screen or a dual-head configuration for
mythfrontend.

    In an X server configured with two screens (:0.0
and :0.1), does anyone know how to tell KDE to use
ONLY the first screen instead of both (that is, start
only one kwin, kdesktop and kicker instead of one per
screen).

    Another alternative I tested is to use Xnest. It
gives me - almost - the right functionality but it is
too slow to render video: you can tell one frame from
the next at simple eyesight. Does anyone know about
any  available alternative to make Xnest perform
better?

    Finally, I guess my last option would be to use
two simultaneous X servers. Unfortunatelly, looks like
that is not supported by default in X.org. I've seen
some mention about this topic in backstreet Ruby, but
changing to a specific - backlevel - kernel and
XFree86 distribution doesn't seem like an attractive
option for me. Does anyone have any experience in this
area you might want to share?

    More context about what I am trying to do here:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-January/070227.html

    Again, I am stuck at this last step. I would
greatly appreciate ANY hint.

    Regards,

Julian.