[mythtv-users] GUI on remote frontend very slow (solved)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jan 26 15:02:24 EST 2005

In message <41F7E9A4.8080605 at lvcm.com>
          Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:

> Dan Christensen wrote:
> > I find it a little ironic that myth needs an incorrect dpi setting in
> > order to get things the correct size.  The point of telling X your
> > screen's dpi is so that applications can choose font sizes in a way
> > that makes them show up the right size...  Is this a bug lurking
> > somewhere, or a design decision I don't understand?
>
> Bug in Qt. The GUI is scaled so the fonts need to have a size
> based on a DPI relative to the default GUI. Last I recall, David
> Engel had tried to use function that were supposed to set the
> DPI for an application regardless of the X DPI. These just plain
> didn't work as advertised :-(.

I tried adding -dpi 100 to my X startup just now and it didn't seem
to make much difference to the fonts - if anything it made the text
a bit bigger and it was quite big enough. What it did do was prevent
Myth working out that I had a 16:9 display because it overrode the
DisplaySize setting in my X config.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)