[mythtv-users] NVIDIA

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:47:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:53:42 -0500, MacNean C. Tyrrell
<dardack at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I give up.  I just tried a nvidia fx 5200 card and X doesn't work
> either.  X tries to start, goes through it s progressions, then it's
> just like 32 straigh (Vertical) white lines on the screen.  I can cntrl
> alt f1 out, but the console is in huge huge huge letters, like maybe 5
> letters fit both across and down.  This is all with tv out.  CRT works
> fine.  I'm so just frustrated.  I know it's not my tv or computer
> because my sis 315 card works fine.  I just my system is fast enough for
> 2 pvr 250 without XVMC or whatever it is.  Oh man.  This stinks.

Are you asking for help or just ranting?

My inbox is cluttered enough, I don't need yours and half a dozen
other people's daily rants.

If you would like help, it would have been helpful if you had
described the steps you went through to install the Nvidia drives.
Such as whether you are installing from RPMs or the Nvidia installer.
Also helpful would be to know what you changed in your xorg.conf.  The
X error messages would also be really helpful to know and would
probably allow someone to solve your problem in 30 seconds.  Since
none of this was in your message, I'm guessing it was just a rant.

May I suggest the following links:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6629/README.txt
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#video
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

A careful read of those will likely solve your problem.  However if
they don't I'm sure we can help.

And I'm sorry for the mean spirted post, but I'm getting sick and
tired of people posting rants about how things don't work.  They work,
it just isn't always easy.  If you want easy, go run BeyondTV or
Snapstream on windows.   I'm really starting to appreciate Isaac's one
line responses.