[mythtv-users] bob deinterlacing and animated shows

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 26 02:52:34 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:44:08PM -0500, toad six wrote:
> The lines are ugly, and I want to get rid of them, so I'm trying to
> use Bob deinterlacing.  (If somebody has suggestions on how to get rid
> of the lines without using deinterlacing, please let me know!!)

Well, in theory since your TV is interlaced if you do things just right,
you would not get them any more than watching regular TV.  But it's hard
to get things just right.

> It looks pretty good on "live" shows (as in, those that are recorded
> with a camera) - for some reason, live shows seem to have the least
> occurences of the interlacing artifacts on screen, possibly because
> they are natively recorded in 29.97fps???
> But when I'm watching an animated show (natively 24fps) like The

Yup.  The software that converts 24fps animation to 60 half-frame-per-
second interlaced video tends to create these intersitial frames by blending
existing frames.  I heard of some folks doing software to specifically
remove the artifacts for progressive displays but don't know if you can
get it in free software.   The goal is to extract the original frames
that came at 24fps.    But you have a TV, presumably not progressive.

Are you driving the TV at 640x480?  How much are you overscanning?