[mythtv-users] Favorite Universal Remote? Buying Tips

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:28:33 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:36:28 -0800 (PST), John Smith
<john_smith_45678 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see that Jarod recommends the Radio Shack 15-2116:
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php
>
> Anybody else have a favorite universal remote? CNET
> has a roundup here (updated 7/04):
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7900_7-5114325.html
> The two editor's picks are quite a bit more than the
> Radio Shack remote.
>
> Any tips on selecting a universal remote? I'm just
> getting started and have just looked at the $10 ones
> at Circuit City (which looked like junk).
>
> Thanks,
> John

I love my Radio Shack 15-1994 - nice feel and the layout is very
intuitive, plus it's cheap.  However, the great thing about it is that
it has a devoted group that has figured out how to program it to make
full use of the remote's hardware.  It has the capabilities to do just
about all the things that multi-hundred dollar remotes do.  I have
mine set up so that if I press one button, it turns on all components
necessary for TV viewing and sets the inputs on them correctly.
Another button sets up everything for music listening, etc, and the
off button turns off all components which are on.  Depending on how
complex your needs are, you might have to invest a bit of time setting
up the remote to do what you want, but for me this was fun.

Most of the Radio Shack remotes use the same chip inside, and in fact
many universal remotes use chips from the same family.  Anyway, go
here, www.hifi-remote.com, for more info.