[mythtv-users] Infrared Tips n' Tricks (was: Foxtel Digital...)

cy53 at comcast.net cy53 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 15:05:05 EST 2005

mythmail requested:
>but i'd like to know what
>tools/code you used to get the IR codes into a lirc format. i have a
>sony clie that i can use to "learn" remote codes, but haven't found an
>easy (read: lazy) way to convert those codes into something i can use >in
>a lircd.conf file. anything you could send along to the list would be
>muchly appreciated!

some of the links below will lead you to some utilities which may or may
not do the proper conversions for you (ir.exe, Global Cache,
keymapper.xls). so, this is not the "lazy" response you were looking
for, rather, the tools you might use to help solve your problem.

In the original thread, Daniel states:
>There are several tools about that will extract the IR codes as
>hex strings, and finally this morning I looked through some code that
>is supposed to send these IR codes via a special interface attached to
>a PocketPC device

maybe you could share that code or it's origins with the list seeing as
we correspond via a "push" versus "pull" medium.

now, onto some more detailed info about higher-end control systems. much
like JP1-style remotes, there exist other devices to automate your
environment. RTI, Universal Remote Control's HTM and Complete
Control line, Philips Prontos/iPronto, and a number of others make
computer programmable remotes with tremendous capacities for devices,
macros and custom screen designs. contributors within each of these
communities have graciously shared their configurations at a site called
Remote Central. out of all of these, the Philips configuration software
allows easy access to formatted IR hex and we - professional A/V systems
integrators - use these tools and shared configurations constantly,
sometimes daily.

if you'd like to attempt to re-use the existing work done by the
Phillips Pronto community, here's a little to get you started...

the ProntoPro Edit software (and the newer, seperate packages for Pronto
Pro NG's and iProntos) can be used to get to the pronto-formatted
IR hex code. the windows packages can be downloaded from the Phillips
website (simple reg required) and used in combination with Remote
Central's files archive to get hard-to-capture - or even better,
discrete codes unavailable from the original remote - into non-Phillips
control systems and their software tools. in ProntPro Edit you'll only
be concerned with opening the properties of a learned/programmed button
and it will display the hex code in the properties window.

what you do with the pronto-formatted hex is an exercise left to the
reader. my particular setup (Univ. Remote Control MX-850 -> MCEUSB
receiver -> lircd) required little to no effort on my part to configure.
my old-school MCEUSB reciever is fully supported by lircd so i can't
tell you off-hand if a conversion would be necessary to go from pronto
hex to lircrc. when i have the time to dive further in, i'll document a
process and post it.

another method to obtain IR hex would be to use a Global Cache IR
Learner and their very simple yet handy software available on the
website. squirt some IR into the device, the software cranks out the IR
code, both raw and pronto-style. seeing as i use the GC-IRL, i don't
know if their software will work with a homebrew IR -> RS-232 receiver
but i'd be very interest to know the results if anyone with a windows
box tries.

to learn more about the wonderful world of IR, try some of the following
links...

lircd (all Myth users really should get to know this site):
http://www.lirc.org/

lircd.conf Explained:
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/technicaldetails.html

Homebrew IR Receivers:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html
http://usbirboy.sourceforge.net/
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~tmccoy/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=26

Glossary:
http://www.remotecentral.com/features/glossary1.htm

Device and System Files (stick to the Pronto, -Pro, and -NG sections):
http://www.remotecentral.com/files/index.html

Interpreting Pronto Hex Codes:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/infrared/IR-PWM.shtml

Code Learning Tricks:
http://www.remotecentral.com/features/irtips.htm

Global Cache IR Learner
http://www.globalcache.com/products/ir-index.html#GCIRL

JP1 Explained (One-4-All and various Radio Shack remotes):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

hope this helps anyone getting started with lircd and remotes. if anyone
is interested in using Myth with high-end universal remotes or control
systems for use with a media room, dedicated theatre or multi-room A/V
i'll be happy to offer any guidance.