[mythtv-users] Fwd: Recording Profiles

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:42:55 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:23:16 -0600, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Recording profiles are applicable for "Software encoders" as I believe
> is evident by that text prior to entering that screen (I'm not in front
> of my Myth box right now but I think I recall something about software
> encoders in that setup section).  Hardware encoders like HDTV, DVB, and
> PVR-x50s recording in their native formats and need transcoding to be
> coverted otherwise.

No.

Recording profiles are used for everything execpt HDTV cards and DVB
cards.  In both of those cases the original signal is an MPEG2 stream
from start to finish so the bitrate and the like are out of our
control.  For all others, including the PVRx50 cards, we can tune all
of those things.

Note that these are different from transcoding profiles.