[mythtv-users] Tuner not changing channel

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Mon Jan 24 10:09:49 EST 2005

> I had a similar problem.  It looks to me like the backend was starting
> before the ivtv driver was loaded, so I just made sure to load the
> driver early in the init process, and I've not had that problem since.

I had exactly the same problem, and what you wrote above was what was
causing it for me.  If I do:

/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
rmmod ivtv
/etc/init.d/mythbackend start
modprobe ivtv
mythfrontend

then the frontend shows whatever TV channel the tuner happens to be
set to, but I can't change channels.

If I exit the frontend, stop and start the backend, and then start
the frontend, then everything is fine.

The key issue seems to be whether the ivtv module is loaded before
or after the backend starts.

Also, if the backend is running and is working fine, but you do

rmmod ivtv
modprobe ivtv

then the backend stops working.

It took me several days to figure this out!

If any developers are reading this:  could myth somehow detect this
situation and complain?

Dan

--
Dan Christensen