[mythtv-users] can't find kernel#2.6.8-1.521

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jan 23 14:36:42 EST 2005

On Sunday 09 January 2005 09:39 pm, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Phil Bridges wrote:
> >Please note that Jarod's FC2 guide is no longer being updated, as he has
> >moved to updating the FC3.  A newer kernel has been added to ATrpms since
> >Jarod published his guide - 2.6.9xx, which you already have installed.  If
> >you've done an ap-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, you should be fine
> >kernel-wise.  Skip to the next step of the guide - just please remember
> > that whenever it asks for kernel 2.6.8xx, you do not have that version -
> > yours is newer.
>
> I have a question about that myself, When I tried to use the 2.6.9 on
> FC2, everything bombed, lockup's and such. I've had a better luck on
> 2.6.8 then 2.6.9 on FC2, FC3 has a lot of issues. I wish atrpms would
> leave the 2.6.8 stuff online. But this is only my opnion.

The kernel comes from Red Hat, not ATrpms. Red Hat doesn't make older kernels
available anymore, which is a Good Thing, because new kernels typically fix
flaws in the older kernels. If the kernel isn't available anymore and has
flaws to boot, there's no sense in Axel keeping around packages for them.
There's also a matter of disk space, compile time, maintenance, etc., which
makes it rather unpractical to support anything but the latest errata kernel.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com