[mythtv-users] mythsetup error on new gentoo install

Travis Osterman tosterman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 11:22:40 EST 2005

> Try rebooting to insure everything is running on the new versions after
> all that.

Tried

> You might also try a
> /etc/init.d/mysql restart

Tried

> just to be sure.  Also check out the logs afterward to see if anythings
> wierd there.

# tail /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err
050123 11:03:38 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

/usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.22'  socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'  port: 3306
Gentoo Linux mysql-4.0.22-r2

Seems benign.  The mythtv backend log is the same error about the QT
db connection.

> Is it something to do with the user your running it as perhaps?   Try root.

Tried

> Did you create the initial database?  I believe there are two commands.
> One to setup the mysql database and one thats myth specific...

Yeah,

> Is that -kde flag causing you problems? It seems unlikely, but stranger
> things have happened.

I intentionally didn't use the -qt flag and I and pretty sure I've
seem others with the -kde.

> Are the access permisions for mysql correct?  I didn't think they had to
> be set to get it going though..

I stopped mysql, deleted /var/lib/mysql/* and ran the init_db program
again to reset everything to clean.  Afterward, I set the root pass
with
"mysqladmin -u root password newpass" and ran "mysql -u root -pnewpass
< /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql"  Which created the mythconverg db
with no tables (I think that was it's intent).  mythsetup still gave
the same error.

> This might be useful.
> http://mion.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mjankows/qtmyadmin/faq.html

# echo $QTDIR
/usr/qt/3

> if all else fails [...] I'd suggest entering a chroot environment and building a clean
> gentoo build in the background.

I hope it doesn't come to that.  I hope the above helps the
troubleshooting process.  Thanks to all for helping me figure this
out.

-- Travis