[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Jan 22 17:30:17 EST 2005

> To me it looks like the horizontal resolution is provided with an
> aspect ratio such that the vertical resolution can be determined for
> each standard timing identification.  Anyhow, the EDID information
> that I previously posted clearly came from my TV.  ATI's windows
> driver recognizes it as a LCD, probably because of the DVI-D
> interface.  I wonder if the mode is reported incorrectly because it
> is an interlaced mode.  Perhaps I can just double all the vertical
> settings to obtain 1080i.  hmm...

A lot of TVs report the 1920x540p because they don't have an easy way
to report interlaced modes, and since interlaced computer monitors went
out about 15 years ago, some video card drivers don't support
interlaced modes any more, HDTV is bringing it back.

>From what I have seen, most HDTVs really only take 1080i, they need
an interlaced mode.

What amazes me is that they don't just make them take 1080p.  I mean
there are computer monitors that cost $200 these days that can do
that, the electronics just aren't that expensive any more.  90%
of them are just downscaling to 1280x720p, or even EDTV so it doesn't
make that big difference to them.

I notice that Mitsubishi TVs which have a VGA port on them will take
720p on the VGA port, but not 1080i or 1080p.  At least one I looked at.

Now one reason to use 1080i is if your signal is 1080i and you send it
1080i the TV knows how to display it and deal with the interlacing
well.  If you send 1080p you would have to do that, but a very simple
bob would do the trick I suspect.

Also amazing is that some TVs who have internal 1280x720 resolution (or
similar) want a 1080i input and can't even take 720p.  This was a
trick to be cheap.  You have to take 1080i or people won't buy you so
they do only one.

However, unfortunately taking 720p signals, and converting them to 1080i
in your PC and then having the tv convert them back to 1280x720 (not
really i or p) really hurts the quality.