[mythtv-users] Whats the most stable system at the monent?

Kenneth Hadley khadley at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 22 04:00:52 EST 2005

Personally running a combo Backend/Frontend MythTV box

Hardware:
-Celeron 2.6ghz
-Intel 845G (845Gsomething another) Motherboard
-512MB Kingston PC266 Memory chip
-120GB JB WesternDigital Hard Disk
-DVD-ROM Drive
-PVR-350
-PVR-250

Software:
-Fedora Core 2 installed via Jarod Wilson's Guide (
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv )
-MythTV v.016
-NO Fedora updates via apt since install time.

The MythTV backend component is rock solid, I typically have both the
PVR-350 and PVR-250 recording (one for DirecTV (SVideo In)  and one from
Charter Cable (Coax In) with a nuvexport running  and now with the cool
MythStreamTV 0.93 plugin/VLC runing all at once.

I do have a problem with the Frontend failing to connect to the Backend
after about a week of continuous usage when using the Frontend on the
same box as the Backend. Oddly enough though my other Frontend's connect
via the network to the Backend with no problems when this problem
occurs. It hasnt been on my list of things to be concerned about since
what matters most to me is a rock solid Backend setup which is what I
consider I have.

I do have one comment though that caused me no small amount of
annoyance. I had a Actisys IR Transmitter but I never could get to work
with LIRC to control my Samsung DirecTV receiver. I went ahead and
purchased a MyBlaster RF Serial which uses a perl script to change the
channel and following their HowTo I was able to get my MythTV box to
control my DirecTV receiver.

Ahhhhh, and how my Myth boxes hard disk has been filled since now I can
record anything I want :-D

-Kenneth