[mythtv-users] Re: Whats the most stable system at the monent?

Alexander Petkov ap154036 at cue1.umt.edu
Sat Jan 22 02:53:02 EST 2005

==========
Not a lot of mention of SUSE at the moment, which surprises me as this
seems to bundle everything and his dog!

I've run Mythtv on Suse from 7.1 on (8.2 at the moment). I'd say its very stable--I've kept the same install while I changed 2-3 motherboards. It does not have Myth packages with the disks though...

It just that it seems that is quite the bloated distro. Hard to believe that I've got 3 gigs worth of crap, after removing a lot of stuff too...

I currently like Vector Linux (on the frontend), since it is Slack based, it has a small footprint (without KDE or Gnome), and one can install Slack packages.

And I still use the 2.4 kernel. I tried 2.6 (up to 2.6.8) and found its performance to be subpar, especially with 2 bttv cards in my system.