[mythtv-users] XBOX Implementation - Wireless

Marty Mastera marty at m3resources.com
Fri Jan 21 22:45:48 EST 2005

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:22:48 -0000, George Styles
> <george at ripnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > 1) I plan on buying a second hand XBOX and
> putting Linux on it to run
> > > MythTV as a Front End to the rest of my system
> >
> > > Q.1 Wondered if I could get a Webcam working
> with the XBOX (nice to
> > > have!)
> >
> > The XBox features 4 USB ports, so a USB webcam
> would work (with an adapter
> > which is a passive, easily home-made job)

Sorry to reply to this thread about the webcam, but I already deleted the original post!

In any case, be careful about Wireless-G on the Xbox.  I had similar plans until I learned that the USB ports are USB 1.0 or 1.1 (can't remember which)...a Wireless-G card will work, but not at G speeds.  This may not be a deal breaker for you, but I read somewhere that live TV on a wireless frontend was only doable using Wireless G (54 Mbps) speeds...The bandwidth on the Xbox ports at 12 Mbps doesn't allow for that.

If my information about the USB spec for the Xbox ports is wrong, please let me know!  I would love to actually get 54 Mbps from a USB wireless G adapter, but based on the above info, I am looking for a way to drop cat5 to the xbox instead.

marty