[mythtv-users] When the disk is full... what happens?

Jens Peter Vilstrup yonzie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 20:42:46 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:25:30 -0800, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> Neither outcome is great.   All the other PVRs I have seen default
> to expiring old recordings, are there others that don't?   It is my
> taste but it need not be everybody's.

IMHO, one should try to mimic the behaviour of retail DVRs.
My JVC DVR does not expire recordings, and shows how much disk space
is left (in hours) at the current recording quality. I am
unfortunately not aware how it handles a full disk situation since it
recently died on me :-( (probably faulty harddrive)

What needs to be done (IMHO) is:
Add a "remaining disk space" (in hours) text somewhere in the UI. It
need not be very big, or even have an explanation associated with it,
however, the user should be able to select it to get more information
about what it is showing, what recording quality is selected, how many
actual gigabytes are free, etc.
In addition, when setting up a recording, if the user chooses that the
recording should auto-expire, and auto-expire is set a zero, a
(clickable) warning symbol should pop up next to the checkbox
informing the user that it will never expire unless (s)he activates
the global auto-expire.
If the user sets up a recurring recording, or one which can
potentially recur, and auto-expire on the recording (or globally) is
off, the same should occur.

At least in MythWeb, the warning symbol could be done with CSS, DHTML
and/or JavaScript.

Just my 0.25dkk (~$0.05),
Jens