[mythtv-users] OT: CableCard, MythTV, and the Future. Is there a Future?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jan 21 19:59:28 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 02:06:51PM -0700, Matt Grommes wrote:
> I wouldn't hold your breath. The current cards are barely functional and
> the version 2 cards haven't been released yet. It'll be awhile before
> anybody has v2 card hardware out, then who knows what kind of DRM and
> other crap they put into it to make sure people aren't doing
> "unapproved" stuff with their cable signal, like recording to a computer.

In order to make a cablecard slot, known as a "pod host interface" if you
want to search google for it, you need to sign a licencing agreement
with the cartel.   And they are not going to let MythTV or an open
source based card sign that agreement to let the content out in
the open, unfortunately, even if the FOSS community could afford
the licence.

Tivo can do it, Tivo is officially locked, it encrypts the video to
disk etc.