[mythtv-users] understanding transcoding

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:33:18 EST 2005

I am trying to understand the transcoding process and how to configure
it.

I do my initial recording with a pvr-250 using the Default profile,
which is 720x480 iiuc (NTSC).

I want to transcode that to "half width" (is that 360 or 320?) x full
height (480 - to preserve temporal information).  When I go to the
transcoder setup in MythTV Recording Profiles, there is a Transcoder
"From MPEG2" configuration.  It has it's width and height set to 480 and
480.  Is this correct?  Should it be 720 x 480?

Given that, is there any way to specify that transcoding should also
"decimate" the horizontal down to a smaller value?  To get half, should
I use 320 or 360?

Thanx,
b.