[mythtv-users] Getting Started

Andy Long andymyth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 14:18:12 EST 2005

You may have troubles building one the size of a VCR, simply because
there are not (as far as I know) any good MPEG2 encoder cards that are
small (they make some half-sized cards for NIC's and stuff, but not
encoders). Thus, right off the bat you're going to have something that
might not be a lot wider than a VCR, but is still taller (like 2 vcrs
stacked).

Personally, I would recommend a micro-atx based case that supports
full-sized PCI cards and that allows you to put in your own power
supply (the power supply part isn't necessary, just handy if you plan
on adding much to your PC.  Plus a lot of the power supplies that come
with cases aren't good).

(NOTE: I'm not trying to plug newegg.  They just have pictures and
decent product desriptions for the stuff I'm talking about).

I myself use this case from Coolermaster (around $80)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-024&depa=1

One of my friends has the Antec Aria and loves it (it comes with a
power supply, but Antec makes pretty good ones). It's around $95
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-146&depa=1

These are both just a matter of preference.  You might check around
Newegg just to get an idea of what micro-atx cases are available.  You
can also google for HTPC and you'll see quite a few nice (but
expensive ones).  Companies like Athenatech (see newegg) make some
that look nice and are pretty cheap, but I don't know much about them.
 Other people like epia systems, but I know nothing about them either.

For fans, get big ones that spin slow.  They move a lot of air but
make very little noise.  Zalman fans seem to be well liked for being
quiet.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=62&manufactory=1647&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

I personally like speeze fans b/c they're cheap, quiet and do a good
job.   You can find them on Newegg too.  You could also go with
watercooling, but pumping liquid around electronics makes me a bit
nervous.

A lot of people like motherboards based on the nForce chipset because
they have fewer DMA problems.   However, many people also have no DMA
problems on boards with VIA
chipsets.  It just seems to be a matter of preference.  For small
size, you'll want a microATX board.

Athlon 64 CPUs seems to be well liked.  Great speed, not a lot of
heat, and Linux actually supports utilitzing 64bit processing.  For
price/performance, I'd go with one of those.

This is all my 2-cents.  I know everyone out there has different
opinions, many of which differ from mine.  I'd just try to do some
research and use stuff that works well for other people.  You might
also check out Jarod's guide, as he lists the equipment he has in
several systems running mythtv.
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php   (see section 2: hardware).

-Andy