[mythtv-users] Getting Started

Bill Williams billw at knology.net
Thu Jan 20 09:26:44 EST 2005

Iım new to the list and MythTV!

Iım just starting to build a list of components to construct my first MythTV
system.  Iım an old guy in the IT business ­ been in it for 35 years (yes, I
worked with hand-wired core memory computers) ­ and built a lot of my own
systems.  However, I havenıt built a system in about 10 years, so right away
I have to admit Iım totally out of touch with the mobo and case market.

My goal is to build a PVR thatıs not much (if any) larger than an average
VCR, has the power necessary to really do the job, but also has low noise
and doesnıt generate excessive heat.  My last system build experience was
with an Athlon Thunderbird and Iım not itching to build another system that
requires tons of cooling help ­ plus, cooling usually translates to noise,
which I donıt want.  This machine is going into my stereo rack and a noisy
box will mess up our viewing fun.

Iım looking for pointers on a mobo and case that will get the job done.
Cost matters less than hitting the noise, heat, and size targets because I
plan to take my time and buy components over a period of months.

I havenıt had time to read through the archives.  Iım sure this question has
come up before, but if yaıll donıt mind this will be a great opportunity for
those willing to recap and update whatever has gone before.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations and experiences.  Thanks in
advance for your patience with a noob!  :-)

Bill Williams