[mythtv-users] Letterbox picture dimensions in MythTV

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 05:34:24 EST 2005

> When watching MythTV recordings the picture is often in
> letterbox mode. It seems to depend on the program. When I
> just used to watch ordinary telly or VCR recordings on the
> same TV set it always filled the whole screen.
>
> Is this desirable behaviour? If it's bad how should I change this?

Is it desirable? If you want to see your tv picture in its native aspect
ratio it is. If all you want is a picture that always fills the screen then
you probably want to use one of the streach modes.
If you always want a full widescreen (distorted by streaching 4:3 into 16:9)
then you can set your DisplaySize variable to 4:3 dimensions and it will
always fill the picture. My prefered way is to use the W key to cycle thru
the modes. You can also set a default mode in setup if you dont want to
default to 4:3.