[mythtv-users] Which Window Manager?

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Jan 19 15:44:48 EST 2005

Roy Murphy <roy.murphy at gmail.com> writes:

> Now that we've had a nice long thread discussing distributions, let's
> talk about window managers. KDE and Gnome sould like *way* too much
> overhead for a Myth frontend. Anyone using other window managers?

This has been covered many times, but I haven't seen much support for
fvwm2, so I'll pipe up and say: fvwm2 works great and is easily
configurable to overcome the little oddities that crop up over the
coure of a mythbox's lifetime (e.g., xine console occasionally
appearing underneath the playback window).

I've been using fvwm2 since day one, and it's been able to handle
mostly everything.  The only remaining issue is that since my monitor
overscans, I'd like to be able to restrict the new window placement
box to something smaller than the limits of the display (say, +15,+15
to -15,-15), but I haven't yet figured out how to do this or if it's
even possible without changing the code.

I'm sure others will plug fluxbox, twm, etc. for equally good reasons.
Do a list search; as I said, it's been covered multiple times.

Cheers,
Kyle