[mythtv-users] Looking for a *nix DAAP client & player w/Ogg support

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 15:12:35 EST 2005

So, I've got my Myth box serving out my music collection with mfd.  Now
I can use the mfe plugin (just for experimentation, mythmusic is still
more mature...), and I can listen to music via iTunes on my wife's
iBook.  But, what do I use to access my collection from another Linux
box?  I have a little VPN set up at work to access my home network, but
the only DAAP client software I can find is Java-based, doesn't provide
much of an interface, and (worst of all) only plays mp3s.  Most of my
collection is in Ogg Vorbis, so this is problematic.

I've tried setting up netjuke, and while it works, it seems like I
should be able to do everything with just mfd (after all, isn't that
the whole point of DAAP?).  There are several DAAP server solutions for
Linux, but the only native client solution seems to be mfd/mfe.
Unfortunately, running mythfrontend on my workstation at work is not a
good option.

So, anyone come across a DAAP client player for Linux w/Ogg support?

-JAC