[mythtv-users] Enough power?

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Tue Jan 18 19:46:17 EST 2005

Brad,
    Just to clear something up... a 10Mbit client connected to a 100Mbit
network does NOT "10x the bandwidth it is using, because it is time that
matters." The only way to connect a 10Mbit client to a 100Mbit network
is via a switch or bridge, which does rate conversion on each frame.
Hench, a 10Mbit client's traffic will be converted to 100Mbit when the
frame is sent out by the switch. The time in between the frames to/from
the 10Mbit client is free for use by other systems.

    Now, if we are talking about something like 802.11, that's a
different story.... 802.11b clients definitely have a negative impact on
the 802.11g traffic, when the b and g clients are both on the same
channel. This is because everything is a broadcast, and in this
instance, it really is the time that matters. The 802.11g clients can't
talk or be talked to while the 802.11b systems are...speaking...
so...slowly....

    I agree with everything else though :)

        --Matt

Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com>