[mythtv-users] Enough power?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:07:15 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:54:12 +0100, Jens Peter Vilstrup
<yonzie at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be slightly OT. Sorry if I offend anyone.
> I'm in the planning phase of my MythTV project, but unsure if my
> planned myth-backend has enough oomph.
> I have:
> Tyan Tiger MP with dual 1.4Ghz Athlon XP's and 1GB of RAM.
> Gbit NIC.
> 2x PVR-250 cards.
> Some yet-to-be-determined SATA(n) card(s), possibly RAID (that, or
> software RAID).
> A whole lot of harddrives.
> MySQL will be on a different server.
>
> I want to be able to record two shows simultaneously, while watching
> on two frontends, while copying files at 100Mbit to or from a client
> PC...
> In your experience, is this a feasible goal?

i'm not sure if your system will be able to handle Myth <snicker>

ok, ok.  actually, if you search through the archives of the list
you'll see that a lot of ppl want to know what a machines specs should
be before building a MythBox.  your machine is way overkill if you're
planning on using it for a dedicated MythBox.  especially with the
PVR-X50 cards.
if you don't have the hardware yet, save your money and buy a cheaper
system (or two systems).