[mythtv-users] XFX Nvidia HDTV Output?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 23:56:19 EST 2005

--- Colin Smillie <csmillie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Has anyone had any success with the XFX Nvida HDTV
> output?  Not really
> clear to me how it works but it looks like the card
> has a connection
> for a component output cable ( in addition to 2 DVI
> outputs ).

I was at Fry's Electronics yesterday and noticed they
have a bunch of GF 6600 GT cards for sale, all priced
about $250.  Most seem to be PCIExpress boards, but
there were a couple of AGP models too.  I was tempted
to buy one just to try, but I'm pretty sure all that
"encoding, decoding, scaling, antialiasing" hooey is
only for the Windoze driver.  The Linux driver they
supply is pretty darned basic and doesn't do a very
good job of scaling 720 to 1080 -- at least on my GF
5200 FX.  The ABC and FOX football games look pretty
bad because of all the jaggies on near-horizontal
lines.  OTOH the CBS broadcasts at 1080i look fantastic.