[mythtv-users] Recording HDTV shows to DVD

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Mon Jan 17 11:36:53 EST 2005

Roy Murphy wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:49:54 -0500 (EST), Cory Papenfuss
><papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
>

>>The reason you haven't found it is that it's a lossy
>>conversion. Most people who would want to archive an
>>HDTV recording wouldn't want to downgrade it to SDTV
>>(i.e. 720x480).
>>

>Why can't you burn a data DVD with the Myth playable file on it? Sure,
>it won't play on a standard DVD player, only a Myth-box. But if you're
>only interested in archiving a program, and maintaining the HD quality
>until writable blue-ray or HD-DVD's come out...

I use Movix.  Haven't finished getting mine completely working yet, as I
still have some movies to transcode before doing it, but it should work
if you have the correct libraries on the CD/DVD.  The advantage to using
Movix is you can bring it with you and play it on ANY decent computer.
Just reboot and play.

Matt