[mythtv-users] Will a PVR-[23]50 help HD playback?

Marc Christensen comments at mecworks.com
Mon Jan 17 11:17:42 EST 2005

Brandon Beattie wrote:

 > On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:50:22AM -0700, Comments wrote:

 >> I was wondering if having a PVR-[23]50 along with one or more
HD-3000 cards would work to decode the HD streams.  A PVR-350 is a lot
cheaper than a new MB, processor and memory for a Myth box.

[snip]

 >> Anyone tried this?  Is it possible?
 >

 > Yes, many of us have.  A pvr-x50 will Not decode HD. You'll have to get
 > an nvidia geforce FX series card, the most popular is the 5200

OK, I can understand this.  However, whenever I research information on
XVMC (which I assume you suggest when you mention the nVidia cards), I
see that it's current support sucks, that it crashes when doing ff or
rew and that no one is working on fixing it.

So, is is true that there's no way to make a MythTV front end machine
for HD that has low-end processor requirements along with hardware decode?

Thanks,

--
Marc Christensen
http://www.mecworks.com