[mythtv-users] Re: Help: getting lirc working under FC3 with a Hauppauge Nova-t DVB card

Nick pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 06:58:29 EST 2005

<snip>

> I'm having no luck however getting the remote control supplied with the
> nova-t working under lirc.  Has anyone out there got the nova-t remote
> working with lirc under FC3 ?

I have a PVR-350 and a Nova-T running at the same time, but the remote is on
the PVR card. I'm sure though that the Nova-T card works the same using the
lirc_i2c driver.

> When running the lirc ./setup.sh configuration
> I've tried both the Hauppauge hardware options as well as
> the "Other->Linux events" (or whatever it's called) options
> all with no success.

LIRC can be a problem to get running in my experience too. What the output
of the following commands (as root):

i) ls -l /dev/lirc*
ii) lsmod |grep "lirc"
iii) service lircd status

You need to have lirc_dev and lirc_i2c loaded for Hauppauge cards. Have your
tried "modprobe lirc_i2c"?

Also important is the contents of your modprobe.conf file, and also your
/etc/lircd.conf file, which is specific for the remote. Do you have the
grey/black hauppauge remote?

For FC3, I also have read that you may need to create udev rules for lirc to
create devices (from another post):

To get lirc working properly without having to redirect the init script to
/dev/lirc0 instead of /dev/lirc, you need to add an lirc.rules file in
/etc/udev/rules.d/ with the contents:

KERNEL="lirc[0-9]*", NAME="lirc/%n"
KERNEL="lirc0",        SYMLINK="lirc"

or may need to symlink lirc devices to together due to a mismatch of some
sort (the above scripts does this for you):

ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc

> irw does nothing, irrecord also does nothing.

This will change hopefully

> Help!!!!!!!

Hopefully we'll get you up and running ASAP. Hope this helps,

Nick