[mythtv-users] Recording HDTV shows to DVD

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Jan 17 04:22:22 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:28:36AM -0800, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> I've spent several hours yesterday and today searching
> for the "how to" I need -- how to record a captured
> HDTV broadcast onto a DVD.  I figured this would have
> been pioneered by someone, but I have yet to find the
> procedure for completing this task.

You could try this program which I wrote (which I must get round to
releasing properly one day!)

  http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/avi2dvd.pl

Despite the name, its a 'if mplayer can play it' to dvd converter.  It
will produce 16:9 output too.

Disclaimer: I never tried it with input of greater resolution than DVD
but I don't see why it shouldn't work!

One improvement that could be made is to pass through the ac3 stream.
As the code stands at the moment it will be re-encoded into MP2
format.  This does seem to preserve the surround sound though.