[mythtv-users] Automatic mythtranscode

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Jan 17 01:41:03 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:09:53PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> This is why I wrote nuvexport.  MythTV can't play anything other than
> nuv files or mpeg2 files (which annoyingly also must have the incorrect
> .nuv suffix on their name), so even if you transcoded them with

I am curious about the history of this.  Was Nupplevideo the best choice
at the time the system was developed?  I have often wondered why Myth
uses the nupple player rather than taking something like mplayer and
adding Myth features to it (Myth OSD, keyboard interface, commercial skip
and editing modes.   Aside from the fact that mplayer seems a very actively
developed project with support for huge numbers of different video formats
(including nuv and ty) it would also mean a single player for DVDs, videos
and TV recordings with a single UI.

No, I'm not demanding the work to recode it this way now, just curious
about the design reasoning.   Was nupple the only good mjpeg grabber at
the time?