[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase howto?

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Sun Jan 16 20:38:57 EST 2005

On your MythTV box, try running:

ps ax | grep mysql

You should see several processes of mysqld running.
If not, the mysqld daemon isn't started, try:
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
and look for errors, also check /var/log/mysql.log for errors:
sudo tail /var/log/mysql.log

If mysqld is running, try:

nmap localhost

you should see:
Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Port			State	Service
3306/tcp		open	mysql

If so, try this:
mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

you should get a mysql> prompt.
Try:

show tables;

You should see a list of a lot of tables used by MythTV.
To exit do this:
\q

That should be a decent start on troubleshooting the problem.

Regards,
   JJ