[mythtv-users] Underclocking...?

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Sun Jan 16 19:39:44 EST 2005

Soren,

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a mythtv box and most bits are in place but the
> machine is somewhat noisy. I tried spraying a lubricant into the fan
> on the CPU and the fan on some chip on the motherboard and that took
> care of the worst bits.But I would prefer an even more quiet pc.
>
> My pc is an AMD Athlon 1.1GHz I've found that watching tv through the
> pvr350 requires 3-5% cpu load so cutting those 1.1GHz in 3 or 4 should
> not pose a real problem.
>
> The fan on the motherboard is a bit of a mystery to me - what does it
> cool (yes a chip, but what chip and can I remove that fan too when I
> underclock the pc)?

   This depends on what north bridge chipset you are using. Alot of the
VIA KT series of chips really did not need a fan, just a good sized
passive heat sink. I have an ABIT board like that. You can get heat
sink kits for several sizes of chipset. I would recommend this, but you
may want to check that this fan is actually the source of the noise by
stopping it momentarily, and I do mean for a short moment. Many a time
I thought it was one fan, just to find out after replacing it that it
was not the fan at all! Also, usually the bigger the fan the quiter, so
you might look at fan adapters which let you mount larger fans to a
smaller fan mount. They are sort of like a square funnel with mounting
holes and what not.

Check out:

http://www.plycon.com/fans/fanadpt.htm
http://www.plycon.com/chipset/chipset.htm