[mythtv-users] Underclocking...?

Larry Silverman cerulean47 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 17:49:29 EST 2005

Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com/ for advice.

The fan on the motherboard is cooling the motherboard chipset (prob
northbridge) and removing it is not a good idea unless you have
confirmation or advice from others that you can do so.  It's probably
there for a reason, right?  On the other hand, you could possibly
successfully replace it with a heatsink.

I had a Radeon 7200 video card on which I read that others had
successfully unplugged the fan, so I did it as well.  I wasn't playing
any games or using any demanding video applications.  I never had a
problem with it.  Maybe my case had sufficient airflow, whereas
another case would not, and the card might have overheated.  Every
case is different.

I've also noticed that a lot of video cards by different manufacturers
sometimes use the exact same chipset, but one manufacturer adds a fan
while another adds a heatsink.  You'd have to ask the engineers why.

Good luck!
Larry