[mythtv-users] PVR350 Tv-out / tearing

Kay Almroth kayrune at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 14:40:26 EST 2005

Watching TV and recorded shows works great, with excellent quality
since the stream is sent directly to /dev/video16.

However using the OSD to display AVI content etc.... The quality is
ok, but the tearing is a real pain. I've tried different filters in
mplayer, but nothing seems to help.

I have a theory, is it possible to implement?

I figure most people have cpu power to realtime encode mpeg2. Wouldn't
it be possible to use a program such as mencoder and convert the AVI
stream to MPG, and then rather than saving it to a file, send it
directly to /dev/video16

I have tried to get i working, but I'm far from an expert, but it
seems it could work, I've never used mencoder before, and I've tried
something like.

mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=128 -vop
scale=720:576 -of mpeg -o /dev/video16 %s

It didn't quite work, but almost....

Am I onto something here, can anyone with more experience comment?