[mythtv-users] Component Video Output??

Da Worm daworm at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 01:42:52 EST 2005

On 1/15/2005 at 7:55 PM Jim Kusznir wrote:

>I have not found any more general information.  For example, is there a
>converter like the $29 cited above that works generically with DVI-I?
>(like an nVidia card with DVI-I?)

The problem is that video cards output RGB, not YPrPb.  So to use
component inputs, you have to convert RGB to YPrPb (not to mention
get your modelines right, which is an adventure in and of itself).  I have
not heard of anyone getting the ATI HDTV adapter to work in Linux.

I bought a $150 transcoder from Key Digital, but you might could build
one a bit cheaper.  See the following thread: http://tinyurl.com/5qlwl

You'll need to get several pages into it (or start at the end).  Not for the
feint of heart, though, unless you are comfortable soldering surface
mount chips.

Jeff.