[mythtv-users] AMD or Intel?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 15:30:23 EST 2005

--- Comments <comments at mecworks.com> wrote:

> So, do you prefer AMD 64?  Intell with
> Hyperthreading?  And what would I
> look for as the minimum speed i would need to do
> this?

I agree with Brad Templeton.  I tried an Athlon XP
based system, since AMD is my preferred vendor.  But
it couldn't keep up with rendering 1080i output (over
VGA) to my set.

A related problem is that XvMC (hardware assisted
decoding) does not work under Myth.  It causes
numerous problems such as freezing the frontend when
you try to skip forward or back, or when the on screen
display fades out.  It is a known problem but
difficult to fix and no one is looking at it
presently.

Since the decoding must be done in software, you need
the fastest clock you can muster.  Today that means an
Intel processor.