[mythtv-users] DVD authoring procedures for archive <from What not to do ...>

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:15:22 EST 2005

Here's my procedure for getting recordings onto DVD:
1. record at 720x480 so I don't have to transcode (w/ PVR-x50)
2. edit the recording in the frontend to fine tune the cutpoints
3. use nuvexport's mpeg2 cut feature to remove unwanted commericals.
4. use the following script to create the DVD

# script: create_dvd filename projectname
#!/bin/bash

mkfifo aud0
mkfifo vid0
mkfifo dvdmpg

mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
dvdauthor -o $2 -T

rm aud0
rm vid0
rm dvdmpg

growisofs -dvd-video -Z /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -R -J $2
#script: end

Works like a charm, but oblivousy it's only for one recording. I'm
looking into the mythburn project to get some menus and multiple
recordings on a single disk.

Josh